Wednesday, October 1, 2008

We have reached LA!

Alrightie so Dan and I have had quite an adventure since we departed San Louis Obispo without Laura :(.

So we left Laura on Monday. Ridding without her was weird, we felt like we had lost our mother hen. But we had a big day ahead of us so we rode on. Monday was the first of what I like to call the Lompoc Twins.....aka the two big hills we had left. The ride started our great through more fields of vegtables. We made it to Guadalope before noon with more than 30 mi under our belts. But we still had the big hill to come! Either we got in better shape or the hill wasen't to big, because it wasn't that bad. The worst parts of it were; my butt was killing me (guess I didn't put enough cream on), it was super hot, and it was super curvy! After the hill we sailed downhill and got to our second motel in a row by 2:30. The rest was needed. We imediatly found a grocery store, bought a couple bags of chips, drinks, and sat on the curb and ate.....hahaha! This was followed by italian ordered out from down the street and monday night football, my favorite part about this was that the game is on earlier since we are on the west coast.

Alright so Tuesday, now this was a day! We had our last major uphill aka the second Lompoc Twin in the morning, again not so bad....just hotttt....which lead Dan to bike without a shirt, a little blinding but I guess it helped him ventalate. So after a rural morning we hit the highway, yes the highway. We even got to stop at a rest stop! We were on the highway for 24 mi! It wasen't that bad, there was a huge shoulder, just lots of glass and whizzing cars. So we made it by the highway, made it through Ventura and hit the beach in Santa Cruz. Actually we just hit the beach bike path because we had more miles to go. We made a decision at about 4 o'clock with 67 miles under our belt and at our prjected campsite to keep going. So we hit the highway again, this time at rush hour but no worries there was a bike lane....on the highway who would have thought!?? Anyways we ended up doing about 95 miles and camped at okay hike and bike site in Mcgrath.

So apparently I was hide awake from the ride all day because I could not sleep last night! But more biking was to be done today. Since we biked extra far yesterday we were going to hit Dan's Aunt and Uncles early...aka today! It was enough to power me through the day.....well atleast for the first 50 miles the last 20 I was dying hahaha. My neck hurt, my butt hurt, my arms hurt....pretty much everything but my legs but in the end those joined the party. It was an okay day of biking, I got my first flat tire of the trip...booo. We rode through Malibu, huge houses but right on route 1...???? no thanks! There were also a few more hills in Malibu than I thought thered be. Then once again we hit the beach on a nice bike path, but it made for slow curvy riding, espcially since I was dogging it. I was super tired, actually I still am....but i am excited for a real bed!

So we made it to the LA area, just 3 more days of biking left. We are spending tomorrow here on Manhattan beach relaxing (hopefully) then I think we are hitting Dan's Grandma's Friday. Not sure when we will finish our last two days of biking to San Diego but It will have to be before next Friday!

Liz

ps- We miss you Laura!!! Thanks for the super long update, I wrote one here for ya hahah!

2 comments:

Mika716 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mika716 said...

Not sure what happened to the last post but I wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed reading the latest posts! What a wonderful memory this trip is for all three of you!